Traffic between nodes on the gigabit segment is fine, and traffic between other nodes (not problem host) and 10/100 segment is fine. So I don't think it's the switch. Have power-cycled and changed ports on the switch to no avail. No hardware has changed and this setup was flawless before system software change.

Tried changing connection speed to 100Mbps. No improvement.

Tried stock kernel from fc2 (not the latest), no effect. Wonder if recompiling the driver against previous kernel source would make a difference?

Haven't tried vanilla kernel. Intel docs say that e1000 latest driver should work with 2.6 kernels (had to dig for this info). So Maybe that's next, although I'm always reluctant to goof with recompiling kernel...I don't know how to figure out exactly what fc2 distro expects to see in the kernel and I don't want to mess up any dependencies in the rpm database.

There's at least one other person in the world with similar problem; there's a recent (10 Aug 04) bug posted on fc2's bugzilla. I'll append my problem to that bug report...the other guy is using an smp kernel and says *all* his net traffic is like 40kbps, which is not the case with mine...only seem to have trouble between my workstation and hosts on the 10/100 segment as I said.

All signs point to kernel/driver incompatibility. Of course I am open to other brilliant interpretations of the problem that lead to its resolution.

Thanks for all suggestions to date.

With hair falling out and despair increasing,
Steve

On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 09:30:00AM -0500, Scot Jenkins wrote:
> Steve Linabery wrote:
> > What's odd to me is that I get just fine throughput from/to hosts in our DMZ. The gateway is on the 10/100 segment. Things only get crappy when I try to talk to boxes (linux and windows) on the 10/100 segment.
> >
> > The gigabit box is on a DLink 8 port switch, which connects to a 24 port Trendnet box. Everything was ok 'til I went to fc2 from RH8. Under RH8 I was using an older version of e1000 driver.
>
> Try a different switch in place of either the D-Link or the Trendnet.  I
> have an 8 port (el-cheap-O) Linksys switch that has horrible performance
> with NFS but everything else (scp, samba, ftp, etc) works just fine.
> I also have a D-Link 8 port (model DSS-8+) what works fine though.
>
> Try using a crossover cable between the RH/F2 box and something on that
> 10/100 segement.  Just temporarily re-ip the RH/F2 box and see if you
> still have the problem.  Would prove your nics/drivers are ok.
> --
> scot

Steve Linabery
World Cycling Productions