On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, John T. Hoffoss wrote:
> Actually, according to this site <http://www.acnc.com/04_01_05.html>,
> RAID5 is distributed parity. Perhaps this is vendor-specific though.
> Effectively, this leads to "one parity drive". (X drives of size N
> results in X parity slices of size N/X, one per drive, which results in
> usable storage space equivalent to XN - N .)

Er, yeah, thanks for the clarification - parity blocks are spread across
all disks, and use the equivilent of one drive's space. What I described
(dedicated parity drive) would technically be RAID 3. That's what I get
for shooting of a reply while on vacation.  :)

RAID6 stores two identical blocks of parity, so you lose the usable space
of two drives, and can also lose two drives without losing data.

Back to Sam's original scenario (losing two RAID5 drives without losing
data) - I have also seen cases where drives are failing (not totally
dead), and the RAID controller will still be able to access data from te
failing drive - in that case, you could appear to lose two drives in RAID5
without losing data.