Scot Jenkins wrote:
> Anyone running LVM and have comments about the amount of overhead it
> uses?  Here's my setup:
>
> Debian woody 2.4.27 kernel w/LVM compiled in.  Box his attached to a
> jetstor filer that hands out a chunk of disks as a single scsi target.
> The jetstor is doing RAID-5.  I know little else about the filer,
> someone else admins' it.
>
> dmesg shows:
> SCSI device sda: 627932160 512-byte hdwr sectors (321501 MB)
>
> If is just run fdisk, create one partition and then run
> "mke2fs -j -m1 /dev/sda1" I get:
>
> Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sda1            309030804     32828 305858396   1% /jetstor
>

> If I setup the disk via LVM (pvcreate, vgcreate, lvcreate) I get:
>
> Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/vg01/lv00       263191620     32828 260484924   1% /jetstor
>
> I get the same results whether I use the entire disk "/dev/sda" or
> create a single partition of type "Linux LVM" (8e).
>
> Any idea why LVM takes about 45 GB of overhead?
I just started using LVM on a slackware 10 box with two 200G hard
drives. I first set up one drive under LVM and formated it with ext3 but
  the filesystem took a big enough chunk that I couldn't transfer the
files from the almost full 200G hd.  I ended up using reiserfs. with two
200G hd I have 398250112 1K blocks.

Joseph Key