> On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 12:12:42PM -0500, Scot Jenkins wrote:
> > Folks,
> > I'm working on some Linux boxes (Redhat, Debian) but to get to them I
> > have to go through and OpenBSD shell server.  Typically I login to the
> > OpenBSD box, run screen on it, then ssh to the Linux boxes.  The problem
> > I have is the backspace key doesn't work properly in vi on the Linux boxes,
> > but works as expected at the shell prompt.  In vi when I type a backspace
> > I get '^?' char displayed on screen.  Very annoying.  Any idea what
> > "stty erase" should be set to to make this work consistently at the
> > shell prompt _AND_ in vi?

I ended up setting my TERM type to "linux" on the RH9 box and that fixed
the problem.  Incidentally, when I ssh'd from an OpenBSD screen session
to a Debian box, I didn't have this problem.  RH9 uses termcap, Debian
uses terminfo.

More details on the problem/solution can be found here:
http://thinkunix.net/unix/tips/screen-backspace.txt

Thanks to everyone who replied with suggestions.
--
scot