From: tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org
[mailto:tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org] On Behalf Of John T. Hoffoss
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2004 11:00 AM
To: TCLUG Mailing List
Subject: [TCLUG] Open GroupWare

A coworker is doing an assessment comparing groupware solutions for a
client. They're currently using straight-up SMTP + POP3 clients.
Exchange is an option, but these guys are a non-profit and pretty open
source-friendly, so they're looking for open solutions as well. I've
found what seem to be the big two, eGroupWare, and OpenGroupWare.

I'm wondering: are any of you using either of these? Are you using a
different groupware solution providing group messaging, calendaring,
etc. via a web interface? They would like this externally accessible.

If you are using these, or another product, how would you rate the setup
on a difficulty scale? How much maintenance does the product require?
Would you say that once running, it's something someone with less than a
year of *N?X experience could manage?

As a final question, would your proposed solution run on OpenBSD?
They're using this now, and setting up a new box is no big deal, but
something to consider, still.

Thanks!
--
John T. Hoffoss