| "smbmount mount -t smbfs //imageserver/images$ /mnt/ir -o
| username=larryp,password=xxxxxxxx"  (where xxxxxxxx was the password for
| larryp on the Windows server)

You haven't quite got your command right there. :)

First issue is that smbmount isn't intended to be used directly, but if
you forget the options for smbfs you can run smbmount and it will give you
a list of all the options. The command should look like:

mount -t smbfs -o username=larryp,rw //server/share\$ /mnt/mountpoint

Make sure you enter your $ prefixed with a \ or your shell (usually bash)
will try to replace the $ with an enviorment variable. I think you have to
escape the $ in fstab as well.

It's a good idea not to put your password on the command line. If a
password is required, you will be prompted. If you put your password on
the command line, it will show up in ps aux and elsewhere.

If you are just looking to transfer files to or from a windows server, you
can also use smbclient. For example, I have a cron job that created a tar
file every night then transfers the tarball to a windows server where it
can be backed up by BackupExec. The smbclient part of the script looks
something like:

smbclient //server/share -A /root/.smbauth -N -c "prompt;lcd /
project/tarball/;mput *.bz2;exit"

smbclient is similar to a ftp client. -A is a file with the
username/password for the windows server in it. The format is quite
simple:

/root/.smbauth:
username = user
password = password
domain = domain

-N surpresses authintication...I don't think you need it when you use -A,
but I put it in for good measure. -c should be followed by a list of
semi-color seperated smbclient commands to run. So smbclient connects to
the windows server, then changes local directory to /project/tarballs,
then copies all .bz2 files to the server, then smbclients exits. If you
don't know smbclient commands, just drop the -c and play around with
smbclient. If you've ever used a command line ftp client, it's easy enough
to figure out.

I don't know what type of application you're writing, but if you wanted to
access smb shares from a program you're writing I'd look into the GNOME
and/or KDE VFS stuff. Those are the only smb client libs that are jumping
into my memory...every other gui client I can think of is just a front end
for smbclient.

Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://www.ringworld.org
 A password is like your underwear; Change it
 frequently, don't share it with others, and
     don't ask to borrow someone else's.