I can tell you from my experience that accessing and writing to a Linux box
from a windows machine using Samba really does work, and it works with the
configuration as it is nearly out of the box. I used RedHat 9 and Fedora
Core 2 both successfully in the same way.

I used user, rather than machine, authentication, so it involved creating
users in /etc/samba/smbusers and  passwords in /etc/samba/smbpasswd. The
user id and password I used for the smbusers were the same as my Windows
2000 logon name/password.

That was the hardest part. Anyone for filling us in on how to create new
smbusers? I did it a couple of times but can't bring it to memory.

Anyway, the Windows machines that needed to access the Linux box share were
all part of a workgroup and not a domain. In /etc/samba/smb.conf I declared
the Linux box to be part of the same workgroup. You could conceivably use
the SWAT utility to configure samba, but I just went through the
/etc/samba/smb.conf and changed the appropriate lines, and created new
shares at the bottom of the file. If you look in /etc/samba/smb.conf you
will see what I mean. I left most things at standard distribution settings.
Be sure to create a copy of the original config file in case you need to
retrace your steps.

Once you tweak the config file and create the samba users and passwords, you
should start the daemon: (in RedHat/Fedora)

# service smb start

And that should start two daemons, smb and nmb. The nmb is for netbios name
resolution.

Then you should see the new Linux Samba shares in "Network Neighborhood" in
windows.

Hope this at least gets you started.

Bryan Zimmer

BRYAN ZIMMER