The default configuration is not so much intended to work with windows
as it is to provide a very broad example of the many things you can do
with Samba.  Most of these things you will not need in a basic
configuration.

Samba has the capability of acting as a PDC, a WINS server, a print
host, and so on.  Not everyone uses these portions.

In addition, not everyone calls their windows share group, "WORKGROUP."
 Modifications will have to be made for such changes / adaptations.