Folks,
I'm working on some Linux boxes (Redhat, Debian) but to get to them I
have to go through and OpenBSD shell server.  Typically I login to the
OpenBSD box, run screen on it, then ssh to the Linux boxes.  The problem
I have is the backspace key doesn't work properly in vi on the Linux boxes,
but works as expected at the shell prompt.  In vi when I type a backspace
I get '^?' char displayed on screen.  Very annoying.  Any idea what
"stty erase" should be set to to make this work consistently at the
shell prompt _AND_ in vi?

Here's what stty shows:

OpenBSD(once screen is running)$ stty -a
speed 38400 baud; 25 rows; 80 columns;
lflags: icanon isig -iexten echo echoe echok echoke -echonl echoctl
        -echoprt -altwerase -noflsh -tostop -flusho pendin -nokerninfo
        -extproc -xcase
iflags: -istrip icrnl -inlcr -igncr -iuclc ixon ixoff -ixany -imaxbel
        -ignbrk brkint -inpck -ignpar -parmrk
oflags: opost onlcr -ocrnl -onocr -onlret -olcuc oxtabs -onoeot
cflags: cread cs8 -parenb -parodd hupcl -clocal -cstopb -crtscts -mdmbuf
cchars: discard = ^O; dsusp = ^Y; eof = ^D; eol = ^@; eol2 = ^@;
        erase = ^?; intr = ^C; kill = ^U; lnext = ^V; min = 1; quit = ^\;
        reprint = ^R; start = ^Q; status = <undef>; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z;
        time = 0; werase = ^W;

RedHat9$ stty -a
speed 38400 baud; rows 25; columns 80; line = 0;
intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^H; kill = ^U; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;
eol2 = <undef>; start = ^Q; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; rprnt = ^R; werase =
^W;
lnext = ^V; flush = ^O; min = 1; time = 0;
-parenb -parodd cs8 -hupcl -cstopb cread -clocal -crtscts
-ignbrk -brkint -ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl ixon ixoff
-iuclc -ixany -imaxbel
opost -olcuc -ocrnl onlcr -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel nl0 cr0 tab0 bs0 vt0 ff0 isig icanon -iexten echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh -xcase -tostop
-echoprt echoctl echoke

--
scot