From: tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org
[mailto:tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org] On Behalf Of Chris Frederick
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2004 3:18 PM
To: TCLUG Mailing List
Subject: [TCLUG] ssh PubkeyAuthentication + Password

Hey gang,

I have a question about the PubkeyAuthentication methods of ssh.  I know

you can use PubkeyAuthentication to log into a server without a
password.  And you can also restrict it to require
PubkeyAuthentication.  But what concerns me is if I use putty to log
into a server from windows using my private key, and my windows machine
gets compromised, then whoever has my putty private key file can get
access to my server.  I could use a usb-key for storing the private key
as well, but there's still the issue of someone stealing it or it simply

getting lost.  Is there any way to require the PubkeyAuthentication
method, and after you pass that level, it still asks for a password?
That way if I ever find that the Windows box has been broken into, I
still have some level of assurance that the server is still safe (at
least long enough for me to regenerate and set up new keys).

Thanks all,

Chris