On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 05:11:05 -0500
Tom Marble <tmarble at info9.net> wrote:

> Josh Trutwin wrote:
> >>RedirectMatch permanent ^/\x90 http://www.microsoft.com/
> > Does this one actually work?  I just got another one of these
> > buggers in my logs.
> It seemed to work for me... (did not confirm with an actual probe,
> however).

Perhaps it's actually an apache problem.  Read the bottom of this post http://www.webservertalk.com/message304809.html the author says that really long query strings get redirected to the bit bucket but always logged.

I was playing around with iptables -m string to just drop this $hit at my network's entry point instead of even wasting Apache's time, but I'd need to rebuild my kernel, so that's tabled:

http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1531

> > CustomLog /var/log/apache/access_log combined env=!exploit
> > CustomLog /var/log/apache/ms_attack_log combined env=exploit
> I like this trick... I'm now doing this to declutter my logs (and I
> only log the ip address and result code, not the whole URI in the
> exploit log).

Yeah, it's kinda cool, I was thinking of other nifty things I could do, like create seperate internal logs for 192.168 traffic, etc.

> I'm sure we are all frustrated with these various attacks, but
> Chewie is right.  This is some sort of virus probe and certainly is
> not going to "honor" redirect requests.  Even though it's fun to
> make mod_rewrite do it's thing it really only contributes to the
> background noise on the net.
>
> I've taken out the redirects, but kept the URI exploit
> filter/logging.

I think you can redirect to /dev/null or a non-existant .com too.

Josh