On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 09:44:56 -0500, Olwe Melwasul <olwe at cpinternet.com> wrote:
> So, does anyone have experience with trying to install, say, Fedora 2 on
> a modern XP laptop? Someone said my Presario 2100 hogs the whole disk
> rather badly and I'd need a commercial disk partitioner to even get started.

Okay first I need to clarify something quick...Your laptop is not an
"XP" laptop.  It's an x86 processor-based laptop made by HP that
happens to have XP installed on it.

Now onto your question....if you want to dual-boot XP and linux,
you're probably going to need a disk re-partitioning program like
Partition Magic or the like.  You'll use that program to shrink the XP
partition to make room for 1 or more linux partitions.  At the very
least, you're going to need a partition for the root filesystem and
one more for swap.

However - if you want to blow away XP entirely, you can just boot
right off of the linux installation media of your choice, and you will
be given the choice to remove all the existing partitions on the disk.
 In this case, you won't need any commercial Partitioning software.

I not that this is going to help you a whole lot, but I own a Dell
Inspiron 8500, which I'm dual-booting between XPPro and Gentoo linux.
I have been able to get everything working in linux.

I'd suggest that you download and burn a copy of Knoppix.  It's a
linux livecd that you can boot from and run a full-fledged linux
system.  This is an easy way to evaluate how linux-friendly the
hardware is on your laptop.