This has been going on for many years, even in the Windows world. Back
in 1995, Microsoft's size and muscle was very much necessary to get Win
95 on the ground, as it had all kinds of install issues compared to Win
3.11. I worked for a university that wanted to upgrade and the main
hardware contractor wouldn't go along or cooperate, wanting to void all
the warranties on the machines it had sold us. Totally perposterous,
since they would eventually have to switch to Win95 anyway. Similarly, I
was tech support at Microsoft pre-Win95 and we'd typically rip out all
non-Microsoft software on a caller's machine to make sure the Microsoft
software in question wasn't somehow in conflict with it. Effectively, we
were saying Windows only works for Microsoft products. LOL!

Olwe