We're considering dropping our RH 7.2 colo setup for a dedicated server
at ServerBeach. The Debian servers there come partitioned as 40MB /boot
(hda1), 1GB swap (hda2), and the rest of the drive as / (hda3). I want
to change the partitioning scheme, but I have to do it all remotely.

What I've been practicing on a spare box here is deleting the swap and
using debootstarp to install a base system on hda2, edit /etc on hda2
as necessary, editing menu.lst and rebooting with hda2 at / . The idea
then is that I can delete hda3 and repartition it to my hearts content,
debootstrap a system onto hda1 and my new partitions and go from there.

When I use the debian installer on a bare system, there's a step where
I tell it to add a module for the NIC card (eepro100). I don't get that
step when I use "apt-get install kernel-image-xxx" during the
debootstrap installation onto hda2. The problem I'm encountering is
that when I reboot eth0 doesn't come up, so my remote work is
finished....

I've tried skipping installing the kernel and seting up fstab to use
/boot from hda1 (the existing installation) but it seems I'm missing
some /lib/modules stuff on hda2 when I try that.

I'm new to debian but already love apt-get. Is there any easy step I'm
missing here or do I need to compile a kernel for my bootstrap
installation while I'm chrooted in it?

The specific error message I get is "eth0: ERROR while getting
interface flags: No such device" and the procedure I'm using comes from
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch-preparing.en.html
section 3.7

Thanks,

Steve