> Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 12:38:09 -0500
> From: Dan Drake <dan at dandrake.org>

> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 at 09:31AM -0500, Steve Linabery wrote:
> > I see from google (all hail google) that someone has already addressed
> > the problem of the RIAA curve when recording from a turntable to a
> > soundcard.
>
> Is this a software-only solution? 'cause I would have thought you would
> just get a separate phono preamp, or pipe the signal through a receiver
> that has a phono preamp built in. A software-only solution would be
> nice.

You can't get something for nothing. In this case, it is my opinion that
you will lose a lot of information capturing without a phono preamp.

To capture properly, you must never overdrive your inputs past 0dB. And
yet, with no preamp, the high frequency components will be much larger
than the low frequency components. This means you'll necessarily have to
either interpolate the low frequency signal and enhance any noise that
occurs in that region, possibly even aliasing the noise into higher
frequencies.

Depending on the quality of the vinyl, turntable, needle and cartridge,
you may want a VERY good preamp or just a cheapy. Radio Shack makes one
for $25, and you can spend over $1000 if you like.

Chris