    >> Chacun a son gout.  Here's someone's inflammatory assessment of Java.
    >> If it doesn't match your experience, feel free to ignore it.  But it's
    >> a good rant:
    >>
    >> "Object-oriented programming generates a lot of what looks like
    >> work. Back in the days of fanfold, there was a type of programmer who
    >> would only put five or ten lines of code on a page, preceded by twenty
    >> lines of elaborately formatted comments. Object-oriented programming
    >> is like crack for these people: it lets you incorporate all this
    >> scaffolding right into your source code. Something that a Lisp hacker
    >> might handle by pushing a symbol onto a list becomes a whole file of
    >> classes and methods. So it is a good tool if you want to convince
    >> yourself, or someone else, that you are doing a lot of work." ---
    >> http://www.paulgraham.com/noop.html

    Florin> Cute, but far from the point. You don't program business
    Florin> applications just by pushing symbols into lists.

This seems staggeringly point-missing.  You don't program business
applications by doing transitive closure, single source shortest path,
or implementing a heap either, but these can be very helpful.

    >> Every time I think about using Java, I am astounded by what a blizzard
    >> of objects I have to grapple with to do what seems to me to be the
    >> simplest thing.  For example, the difference between what it takes to
    >> get something displayed on the screen in Java + Swing and perl + tk,
    >> or tcl/tk.  For example, the test scroll pane thing, draws a picture
    >> and lets you scroll over it, which I opened at random to in a Swing
    >> book, consumes about 30 lines.  That's approximately as much as is
    >> consumed by a sample graph editor (micro-Visio) in Ousterhout's Tcl
    >> book.  And you just let the wish interpreter have at it, modding it as
    >> you go.  No heavy lifting with the IDE, the editor, etc.  Tcl isn't
    >> really to my taste, but that's a pretty good example of what I mean by
    >> a high-level languge.

    Florin> Show me the equivalent in Lisp.

Never said you'd do this in lisp.  Pretty much deprecated as a
language for GUIs.  But so what?  Who'd bother doing text processing
in C when there's perl?  Why would you develop a database application
in MATLAB?

If you recall the whole thing started with someone saying "why don't
you all love Java?"  For GUIs I mentioned the advantages of Python,
perl and tcl.  As does Graham; if you read his article "Great
Hackers."

Graham's articles all seem to aim at two points:  if it's boring to
you; don't do it and demand the best tools.  You're right; if you want
to wallop code for a PHB, it's not the way to go.  But it's a vision
for a life working on software that's creative and fulfilling.

Cheers,