On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 10:54:03AM -0500, Josh Close wrote:
> Yes, I tried it with -v also, and it just lists a directory and the
> file before it craps out. I tried using rar also and it got a lot
> farther, but no dice.

Is the tar file gzipped of bzipped ? Sometimes the suffixes get
lost.  Try "file" on it?  Also, from googling on your error
messages it looks like this sometimes happens if a hardrive it
failing.  Trying copying the tar somewhere else. Finally, try
opeing it up in an editor.  If there are any text files in the
tar and its not compressed, you should be able to look around a
little.