On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 09:18:57AM -0500, Josh Close wrote:
> I'm trying to untar a file and I get this error
>
> # tar -xf file.tar
>
> tar: Skipping to next header
> tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers
>

> Then it just sits there. Is there a way to fix that? Or is this file
> lost for good?

Well, for a first thing try:
 # tar -xvf file.tar
and see if you get anymore useful info on what's going on.

If that doesn't work try a non-gnu tar.  Either on a Unix box if
you have access, or download a different free tar - I beleive
that there are at least a couple.  I think that there is one
called star from the maker of cdrecord.