    >> As a developer, I don't like Java because it seems to me to hit a low
    >> point in the tradeoff curve between interpreted and compiled languages
    >> (rigid like compiled, yet slow) and between high-level and low-level
    >> languages (OK, so it has garbage collection, but I still have to
    >> interact with far too many objects to do even the simplest things).

    michaelb> It's hard to interpret this opinion.  What are you
    michaelb> comparing Java too?  What is your language/platform of
    michaelb> choice?  What type of software do you develop?

Language of choice for GUI is really to get someone else to do it.

I do computer science research, so I like to be able to develop stuff
quickly, and in as high a level language as I can get my hands on.
Perl, Python, Common Lisp, ML are all good.  I used to take others'
word for it that rapid prototyping languages weren't up to delivery,
but have now worked with enough people using Java and C++ that I no
longer believe that.  Plus tons of those people seemed to end up using
Visual Basic!

Supposedly with lower level languages you buy better run time with a
big expenditure of more programmer time; but by and large I don't see
the payoff as being worth it.  YMMV, but for anything other than
hard-core systems programming (including developing inner-loop
libraries), C, C++, and even Java (although it's certainly easier than
the first two) seem really masochistic.

To directly address your points, Java doesn't seem that much better
looking than Python + graphics libraries, but it's a ton more
difficult to use.  Sure, a lot of time you have to use what the PHB
says you should use, and for that Java seems better than the other
alternatives, but "best that a PHB will stomach doesn't seem good
enough..."

Have a look at some of Paul Graham's stuff; might turn upside-down the
way you look at programming languages:

http://www.paulgraham.com/gh.html