    >> 1.  Development is every bit as nitpicky and time-consuming as C++.
    >> Give me an interpreter or give me death!
    >>
    >> 2.  Pig slow.
    >>
    >> 3.  Write once, run everywhere.  After you've installed about
    >> forty-two versions of the JVM and jar files that work with your
    >> app, because Sun and everybody else change the libraries every
    >> twenty minutes.  Now let me see, does that run on 1.4.2 or only
    >> 1.3.1?  Oh, you developed it to be portable with a PDA, so it
    >> needs 1.1.8?  AAAACK.

    MikeB> I've done as much C/C++ development as Java development over the last decade
    MikeB> and I completely disagree with all three of these points, but I feel it would
    MikeB> be a waste of effort to argue.

    MikeB> Let me switch subjects instead, why is a negative attitude
    MikeB> towards Java so prevalent on this list?  Java is backed by
    MikeB> a UNIX vendor, it is a direct competitor to Microsoft's
    MikeB> development platforms, and there are zillions of Open
    MikeB> Source Java projects.  It surprises me that the technology
    MikeB> doesn't get welcomed with open arms here.

Well, I'm not sure how to answer your question, since I  gave three
reasons already!

Java's portability seems to me to be oversold; at any rate, as a USER
of apps, I hate apps written in Java.  At worst, it's a pain to get
them working because the environment isn't as standard as it should
be.  At best, they always seem to be ugly as sin, because Java isn't
successful in papering over the differences in appearance across
multiple platforms.

As a developer, I don't like Java because it seems to me to hit a low
point in the tradeoff curve between interpreted and compiled languages
(rigid like compiled, yet slow) and between high-level and low-level
languages (OK, so it has garbage collection, but I still have to
interact with far too many objects to do even the simplest things).