This is about the third Linux patent infringement story that I've stumbled
across. I guess that just means that Linux is officially big business.

Randy

"Group: Linux potentially infringes 283 patents"
By Stephen Shankland
CNET News.com
August 1, 2004
http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-5291403.html

excerpt:

[An artifact of current patent law in the United States is that companies
and individuals are discouraged from seeing if their products infringe,
Ravicher said. "If you have knowledge and are found to infringe, a court
can punish you," tripling financial penalties, Ravicher said. "If you say
you didn't know and didn't see it, a court can't punish you. It's a
screwed-up rule." Linux founder and leader Linus Torvalds has taken that
approach. "Finding patent infringement has always been a responsibility of
the patent holders," he said in a 2003 interview. "It is a fact that I do
not encourage engineers to look up patent information."]