when last we saw our hero (Thursday, Apr 29, 2004),
 Andrei Bazhgin was madly tapping out:
> Has anyone done sutch a thing?
>
> I was reading a little bit about how people got to login to the
> WRT54G router, and even get a complete working environment where
> they can change the configurations of the device (for example, the
> wireless security.) It looks like an interesting project, has anyone
> done this? Is it worth the set up? Or is it pointless hacking?
>
> http://www.batbox.org/wrt54g-linux.html

i've done a considerable amount of hacking on the wrt54g and i have to
say it's well worth spending time and the small amount of money on it.

there are some alternative images available from other folks who have
ported useful bits to the 54g.  if you're really interested in hacking
on the platform there's a  really good mailing list [1] specifically
regarding the WRT54G.  there are also some folks on the tcwug list
that have been playing with it as well.

references

steve ulrich                       sulrich at botwerks.org
PGP: 8D0B 0EE9 E700 A6CF ABA7  AE5F 4FD4 07C9 133B FAFC