From: tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org
[mailto:tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org]On Behalf Of John Hawley
Sent: Monday, April 26, 2004 1:04 PM
To: TCLUG Mailing List
Subject: [TCLUG] routing issue with VPN

Hi.

Isn't there a way to specify from which of multiple interfaces on a
linux router a connection originates from?

For example, I have a VPN gateway router at a remote office which also
runs a slaved dns server for it's internal network.  However, when
sync'ing to the master dns server at the other end of the VPN, it
advertises itself as coming from the IP assigned to its public interface.

This confuses the routing somewhat at the other end.  We put in a static
route on the main office core router to point the remote office public
IP back up the VPN.  That fixed the dns sync'ing problem.  But it
created a new problem in that now the remote office server cannot 'see'
the DMZ at the main office.

The easy solution would be to remove the static route, but somehow get
the dns service to source its IP from its internal interface.

Possible?

--
John Hawley
jhawley at hissingdragon.net