From: tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org
[mailto:tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org]On Behalf Of Dave Erickson
Sent: Sunday, April 25, 2004 2:23 PM
To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Subject: [TCLUG] Loading the complete OS into RAM

I've done a bit of searching and haven't come up with much but what I
was wondering is: can a person load an entire OS into RAM from the HDD
or network and then use a sync program to write updates to the disk but
actually run the whole thing in ram?

What advantage would there be as far as actual speed increases? I would
guess the performance increase could be dramatic as there would be no
need to go to the HDD at all.

I just upgraded to 1 GB of RAM in my desktop computer and started
wondering....

thanks...