Actually, let me clerify myself:

You always have the option to use security by obscurity. If you locate the
private documents in an obscurely-named directory on the server, then the only
thing you have to do is use some sort of server-side technology (like a
scripting language: PHP, ASP, Java, ... et cetera) which is a very trivial thing
to do.

Good luck

On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 07:37:02PM -0500, Andrei Bazhgin wrote:
> Well see, thats just wasting space. Why back up somthing that hasn't even been
> changed since the last backup? It doesnt really make a lot of sence. This method
> does what it is supposed to do, but is not really good when all I can spare for
> backup is a 100 GB partition.
>
> Thanks for the tip though .. I didnt know what it was called.
>
> On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 02:56:10AM -0500, Scot Jenkins wrote:
> > Andrei Bazhgin wrote:
> > > Does anyone know of a simple backup sollution for unix? I have a linux pizzabox
> > > and a fbsd server and I would go apeshit if I lost somthing on them.
> > >
> > > I remember some /. reader having some simple sollution that I thaugh was pretty
> > > useful and smart. He made diffs of the files on his system every other night,
> > > tar/gzip the diffs and store them on a remote server. Every week, the remote
> > > server would make a large tarball of all the diffs, and every month it would
> > > create an ISO image to be burned onto a CD. Clever.
> > >
> > > Anyone know of any already-implemented sollutions like this?
> >
> > rdiff backup?  google for it.
> >
> > personally I use dump(8) over ssh to a server with lots of disk and
> > weekly run the backup area out to tape.  simple and effective.
> > Everyone's backup needs/desires are different so pick the solution that
> > works best for you.
> > --
> > scot

> --