On Sat, 24 Apr 2004, Anton Yurchenko wrote:

> Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 14:49:35 -0500
> From: Anton Yurchenko <phila at cascopoint.com>
> Subject: Re: [TCLUG] Apache Question
>
> Scott Raun wrote:
>
> >Alternatively, it could Site X Page A has a link to Site X Page B, but
> >you can't go directly to Site X Page B.
> >
> >Could you do it with referrer?  Only open Page B if it has an
> >appropriate referrer listing Page A?
> >

> referrer could be used, but it could also be faked, so this is not a
> replacemnet for security, I guess that mod_rewrite could be used to
> check the correct referrer.

Also, do all web browsers implement the referrer?

You could set a cookie in page A and check for it in page B, but you'd
have to assume the user had cookies on. Maybe encoding some information
about the connection along with a secret page ID  and tacking that onto
the url pointing at page B. Then re-encode the info on page B and see if
it matches. Of course assuming you're using some sort of scripting.

-Steve