Been playing with Knoppix. Once you get your remastering environment set
up it isn't too bad a deal-- although it can get pretty time consuming
if you have to keep re-creating the compressed file system. There's a
pretty good howto on the subject at
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixRemasteringHowto

If you decide on making a custom Knoppix based CD you might want to take
a look at MiniKnoppix (http://www.inittab.org/lite.html) as it only
takes up ~200M of your CD leaving you lots of room to add stuff.

There's a rather extensive list of live CD's at

--greg