> register_globals = Off

> Now that I did this, both Mailwatch and Squirrelmail keep kicking me back to
> the login page. It turns out mailwatch needs a newer version of php to work
> properly, so I figured I would start there.
>
> Any suggestions?

At least with the squirrelmail version I'm running, 1.5.0-1 (debian)
squirrelmail needs register_globals turned on. Debian uses an apache
config like this:

Alias /webmail /usr/share/squirrelmail

<Directory /usr/share/squirrelmail>
  php_value register_globals On # refer to Debian bug #128226
  Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
  <IfModule mod_dir.c>
    DirectoryIndex index.php
  </IfModule>
</Directory>

This turns on register_globals for squirrelmail, without having to
enable it sitewide. Existing PHP webapps seem to be slow to remove the
need for register_globals. Ugh. Perhaps Mailwatch still needs it too.