> hdb: task_no_data_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hdb: task_no_data_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
> hdb: 8404830 sectors (4303 MB) w/128KiB Cache, CHS=555/240/63
> hdb: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
> end_request: I/O error, dev 03:40 (hdb), sector 8403864

Indicates a failing disk, but you knew that already :-)

> Also I do not have the dd_rescue utility installed

dd will work too.  dd_rescue has a couple options that work better for
this type of thing, but in a pinch dd should give you the same result.

> dos bootdisk showed C: (I think it does) would A:\fdisk /mbr or sys C: do
> any harm to this disk?

Anything that writes to the disk will damage what data is intact.  If a
disk has failed, use only utilities that read data.  Writing will most
certainly cause damage.  Fdisk, format, or any such utilities are to be
avoided at all cost.

-Brian