On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 07:19:27PM -0500, Lawrence Clemens wrote:
> This is an update.....
>

> Background: I thoughtlessly smoked my wife's friend's HD by reversing the
> power plug to the drive.  Although I have reached geezerhood status, I still
> do stupid things.  I also volunteer at rehabbing computer donations for a
> non-profit, and I keep an eye on linux as a possible low cost operating
> system for our low-income, computer unsavvy clients.  But as you know
> everything we get is Windows based.

<snip>

> Brian also suggested dd ing the drive and pulling an image and then TCT for
> data.  Dan Rue suggested a similar approach with dd.  Ben Maas suggested
> using dd_rescue
> (http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/ddrescue/ and gave me a script
>
> cd ~
> mkdir recover
> cd recover
> dd_rescue /dev/hdb ./bad_disk.img
> ... up to several hours later ...
> dosfsck -a -V ./bad_disk.img
> mount ./bad_disk.img /mnt/tmp
> ls /mnt/tmp
>
> This sounds like a very powerful approach at the dd_rescue web page, what I
> could understand of it.

<snip>

> So that's the update.  Thanks to Brian for prodding me along.   It could be
> a long summer, but apart from the volunteer thing that is heating up, I may
> yet conquer linux - out here in the garage with the dog and out of my wife's
> baleful eye.  Mandrake 10 looks promising.

Ok, I should have read more carefully before.  You don't need to
mount a drive in order to copy using dd.  The hard drive icon
that Knoppix gave you is just a convenience.  It does not really
mean that Knoppix is having any more luck with the drive than
Mandrake.

The list of commands you have above should work equally well for
either Knoppix or Mandrake, assuming dd_rescue is installed.  One
important point is that you will have to run these commands as
root.  Also, for the mount command you will probably need to use
something more like:
   mount -t vfat -o loop ./bad_disk.img /mnt
where the thing -t is whatever filesystem type you are trying to
recover - probably either vfat or ntfs.

Anyway, run these commands from a Konsole or xterm, and report
back your results.

Hopefully this will work.