On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 07:19:27PM -0500, Lawrence Clemens wrote:
> Background: I thoughtlessly smoked my wife's friend's HD by reversing the
> power plug to the drive.  Although I have reached geezerhood status, I still
> do stupid things.  I also volunteer at rehabbing computer donations for a
> non-profit, and I keep an eye on linux as a possible low cost operating
> system for our low-income, computer unsavvy clients.  But as you know
> everything we get is Windows based.

<snip much info>

I haven't seen any recent response to you, so let me just make a
quick comment.  My guess is that the drive is fried.  My guess is
that the drive isn't even recognized when you boot-up.  To be
sure boot again either with Knoppix, or whatever distro you ended
up installing.  Then, right after booting run "dmesg" and send
the results to the list.