On Tuesday 13 April 2004 09:53, Tom Marble wrote:
> Eric:
> > This may be overkill for you, but I've been playing with Asterisk
> > (http://www.asterisk.org or http://www.voip-info.org) lately, which is
> > full PBX (including voicemail) that runs on Linux.
>
> I've been interested in looking into this... I'm wondering if you have
> considered Bayonne and if so what your rationale is for Asterisk?  In other
> words, have you made a decision for IAX instead of SIP?

I did not look at Bayonne.  I mostly started playing with Asterisk because it
had the most hits on Google. Asterisk can do SIP.  I haven't used it outside
my network because I have a NATting firewall (one of those Linksys devices).
I'd like to put in a Linux based firewall and install an SIP proxy on it, but
I'm all out of round tu-its.  I have used SIP internally. I guess the reason
I like IAX better is because it can cross a NATting firewall with port
forwarding on a single (I think) port.

> Do have any experience with Linux SIP Softphones?
>   http://www.iptel.org/info/products/sipphones.php

The only SIP softphone I've used is kphone.  I've tried a couple others but I
couldn't get them to compile.

I have also used IAXComm, but it seems to have the drawback that it is limited
to one encoding scheme (GSM?).

I had not seen that link before.  It's bookmarked now. :-)

I don't have any expe
> I'm sure you've seen:
>   Open Source Telephony... The Next Big Thing
>   http://www.tmcnet.com/it/0104/0104PO.htm

I believe I have read that.

> Which interface card do you use?

I use an X100P clone on the telco side. I tried to buy it from Digium (because
I believe in supporting the Asterisk effort), but after 5 calls to them in 4
weeks, I gave up.  I wish you better luck.

On the phone side, I'm trying to get a Sipura SPA-2000 working.

> Regards,
>
> --Tom

HTH,

Eric