Thanks for the advice and offer.  Later today I'll try the free
(non-functional) OnTrack disk and see if it can see anything.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian" <lxy at cloudnet.com>
Sent: Monday, April 12, 2004 7:07 PM
Subject: Re: [TCLUG] Can This Drive be Resurrected?

> It was good advice.  I found an identical drive on eBay and swapped the
> boards today.  I put the drive in a computer as slave and fired up.  The D
> drive shows in the My Computer box and when I mouse on it the names of the
> main folders (Windows, My Documents) show up.  But when I click on a
> folder, it will not open and I get the report that Drive D needs
> formatting and would I like to do it now.

A couple of things.  First, I'd do a dd of the disk and save it to an
image file.  Assuming the drive is physically OK, you can use something
like TCT to collect the data you need.  If you want to attempt software
recocery, go to ontrack.com and download their recovery software.

http://www.ontrack.com/easyrecoverydatarecovery/

The free download version will give you an answer as to whether or not the
files are OK.  The limited registered version is $89, the unlimited
version is $200.  The limit is that you can only recover 25 files, then
you have to start the software over.  To recover many files would be time
consuming.  Perhaps your data is worth that much to you.  If not, e-mail
me tomorrow and ask for my copy of DriveRescue.  Same results as Ontrack,
but it's free.  The software is abandonware, I just happen to have a copy.

-Brian