Are you building the search engine because you want to combine results
from multiple public search engines, or to filter adult content in the
results, or both?

Google has a SafeSearch feature that works pretty well.  It's set in
preferences or as a flag on the URL line.  You could simply wget the
google search URL (with the flag set) and parse the results.

Depending on the scope of what you're doing, Google has an API for
querying their search engine from your own applications, and you can buy
queries (to be on the legit side) if you're using this.

I only recommend this because it's a much easier solution than trying to
build your own content filter.  Remember, most porn sites are not operated
by people that have high moral standards.  They go to great lenghts to get
around content filters.  It's best to use the power of Google's
SafeSearch, than to play Whack-a-mole with the sites that make it past
your filter.

And you didn't go into great detail on what you're doing, but there are
potential liability issues if you are going to provide a search engine
that's safe for children.

You might be better off going the route Yahoo! started with and manage the
database by hand.  This gives you complete control over what goes into
your database, at the expense of having to maintain it.

Adam Maloney
Systems Administrator
Sihope Communications