Munir Nassar wrote:

>using screen you can partition your terminal in any number of ways. What you
>want can be done.

GNU Emacs can partition a terminal (window) in a wide variety of ways
and functions within each such partition.

For GNU Emacs to be used as a strict ASCII GUI, it would started with
the -nw (No X11 windows) option.

Some people do everything within emacs and may even make it their
default shell.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs at winternet.com>