<replies inline>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Schumann" <cschumann at twp-llc.com>
To: <tclug-list at mn-linux.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 11:34 PM
Subject: [TCLUG] Home or SOHO Small Network HOWTO Wanted

> - Can Samba provide roaming profiles, or am I limited to a MS solution?

Yes.  Any file server that can "participate" in a Windows "network" (with
SMB) can store profiles.  You'll probably have to tweak some things
regarding ownership.  Read more:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=samba+enable+windows+xp+roaming+profiles

> Do I need true roaming profiles if having "My Documents" on the network is
> good enough? (although a desktop and start menu that are customized would
> be really nice too)

Probably not, but it depends on how much profile-specific data outside of
your home directory you'll want to follow you around.  Things like
favorites, shortcuts on the start menu and desktop, Outlook settings,
printers are stored in the profile.  For "smooth" roaming profiles, you'll
want to:

 - exclude fat and unnecessary directories like \Temp, \Temporary Internet
Files (set by default) from roaming

 - ensure all clients and the file server are using NTP or another method of
synchronizing system times.  THIS IS CRITICAL!

You'll also want to consider whether or not to "cache copies of roaming
profiles".  If you have the hard drive space (plan on 50 - 500 MB per user)
you should probably do this to cut down logon times.

I have experimented with roaming profiles (even over 802.11b!) since the 4
kids choose an available PC from any of (currently) 3 PC's distributed
throughout the house.

Jim