On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 03:55:58PM -0500, rbentz at dunwoody.edu wrote:
> Hello all,
> I have a question about the port forwarding in IPCop.
> The problem: My WinXP box tries to access www.time.gov
> and the animated clock does not display.  The WinXP machine
> is behind an IPCop firewall that is connected to the Inet
> via cable modem.  The site(time.gov) says to "open" port 8013
> so I tried but I don't understand why it's failing.
> The questions:
> Is there a way in IPCop to forward a port so all machines
> in the green network to use it?
> Anyone done this that could suggest what I'm supposed to do?
If your network is NAT'd (i.e. you don't have public IPs internally),
then you can only forward a port to one computer.

Sucks, but that's the way it is.  That's why people like to run services
on weird ports - you can run ssh to different servers depending on a
port, for instance, by forwarding port 1022 -> 10.0.0.4:22, 2022 ->
10.0.0.5:22, etc.  So, then if i want to ssh to 10.0.0.4 i ssh to my
public IP port 1022.

dan