>So you put the drive in and a light of some sort glows on the thumdrive?
>If you check dmesg does it show the device as being recognized as mass
>storage?  Do you have another device that has already taken /dev/sda1 ,
>like a usb cardreader or some such?  Are all the modules loaded that
>need to be there, or are they compiled into the kernel?  Does the
>thumbdrive still work in another box?

No drive is just a simple thing, no glowing ;)  /var/log/messages says
it's a usb storage drive and mentions something about sda

/dev/sda1 is only used by that drive, and has always only been used by
that one back when it works.  In any case mounting that device shouldn't
freeze the system (IMHO).

The thumb drive works in other boxes... haven't tried another Linux box
though.  I'll try that maybe.

>>The one thing i changed (this was stupid) was upgrading to gnoem 2.6 in
>>experimental.  That may have triggered a few other things to install
>>(libraries and such).
>>

>My guess is this has nothing to do with it.

Except that gnome has a crap load of dependencies, and I really didn't
pay attention to what it was getting.