On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 21:23:18 -0500
Rick Meyerhoff <rick at eworld3.net> wrote:

> Kent Schumacher wrote:
> > I believe the 2940 has a utility you can activate on bootup
> > using [ctrl]A or [alt]A or something like that.
> >
> > Get into that and tell it to detect SCSI devices.  If the
> > card isn't detecting the drives you have bad cabling, bad power,
> > or bad drives...
> >
> Agreed. I don't see any drive detection in your dmesg output which
> is suspicious. Make sure that you have not done what I did once:
> forgot to plug in the power to the drive! doh!
>
> Let us know the exact mount command that you are using.

Turned out to be a bad cable ( or unterminated one)...  Swapped
cables, plugged it in and both drives were detected.  I went into the
2940's setup utility to ensure it could see them before booting up
fully.

Found out that the drives were partitions with NTFS.  Go figure, it
was a home system with only 4.3GB HDD's.

Initially, I tried:

#mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /disc1

Got the typical, "wrong superblock or partition type" error.  So, then
I did a standard mount without any options, and it could read them
just as if they were a normal windows drive.

I wound up putting a couple of entries into my fstab using the ntfs
label and I can read the data fine.  Bad part is that it's read-only,
but I don't care.  It's readable.

Thanks for the help!

--
Shawn

  Ne Obliviscaris --  "Forget Not"

  That which hits the fan will not be evenly distributed...