I can't speak for RHEL, but I have had very good luck in upgrading from
RH9 to Fedora Core 1.  IIRC, I've done it with both the CD and with apt,
and both worked.  I think apt left me with a little bit of dependency
hell to work through, though.
Theoretically, RH9 should easily "upgrade" to RHEL3, but I haven't felt
like spending $75 to find out.  Remember Fedora is "unsupported" and has a
quick releace cycle, whereas RHEL comes with support from Redhat when you
purchase it, and has a much slower release cycle.