Mike Partyka wrote:

>OK, I think i have derived the answer from the earlier response. Please tell
>me if i have this wrong.
>
>Looking at my RHEL WS 3 box at home, the network file has only two lines
>which describe the hostname and the whether or not to use networking. This
>box uses DHCP which is why i have no gateway listed in that file.
>
>The server at work was statically addressed during the setup. At which time
>i would have set for eth0 the gateway among other things. But for some
>reason the GATEWAY entry was not added to /etc/sysconfig/network and that is
>why rebooting it results in no default gateway. So if i add
>GATEWAY=192.168.1.1 then it should be "all good"?

yes it shoould be all good, this file is dynamically parsed by a script
called /etc/init.d/network which brings up the whole network thing.  you
add this variable to to this file and it should work.
You can even test it while remotely logged in like this:

/etc/init.d/network restart ; sleep 10; route add default gw 192.168.1.1

which means that if it didnt bring up the default route with the script
after 10 secs it`ll add it by hand, even if you get cut off. better of
course is to do it on console :)

>Can anyone tell me why during the setup the GATEWAY varable isn't added to
>/etc/sysconfig/network when you setup your NIC?

hm hard to tell,  maybe you forgot it, or some installation script
screwd it up, really anything is possible. Byt in any case this is a way
to fix it :)
With all the different distros bringing up network in a different way
the easiest way to figure out where everything goes is firing up
midnight commander and doing searches on in files that are in /etc like
search for you IP address or like it`ll give you a starting point and if
you can understand bash scripts you can find out how it is done, there
are some very usefull variables that you can set up in config files for
your network/NICs that are not in them by default but are actually
understood by scripts.

good luck, and I shure do advise you doing any fiddling with network
parametrs/NICs from the console id this is possible at all