I've been wandering the Linux distribution maze for over a year. I've
finally settled on a distribution, but knowing what took place before is
important.

Before I started the journey I was very fond of Red Hat 6.x. I had not
even upgraded from what came on the CD, just some applications. I had
run Linux using RH4.x, 5.x, and 6.x for about 4 years, as a file and
print server, some eMail, and web browsing.

I had an old laptop (486/25) that I put Debian Base on (last install
fest) and really had fun with it. The "want" for more power grew with
every moment I used the laptop, that and the dinky screen strained my
eyes. I looked at Slackware, Gentoo, and several other less know
distributions on several laptops.

What I found was the newer the distribution the more horse power I would
need to run X applications. X has become bloated with what the "public
wants" in a "windowing" environment. I understand that and live with it
now. After going through 4 laptops I found one that fit the hardware
profile to run a "new or up to date" distribution and X applications.

I then went back to my roots and out in the unknown (for me). I down
loaded Fedora Core 1 and installed it on my present laptop. I must say
the good folks at Fedora.org know what they are doing. I simply love it
I don't have to fool with getting all the bells and whistles to run,
they just work.

Half of getting all the bells and whistles to run is having nearly
up-to-date hardware. If this Armada E500 lasts for a couple of years
I'll be very happy :-)  Being able to install Fedora and have it work
without tweaking it is important for me. It the hard disk fails I can
reinstall, restore data, and be up and running in 1/2 a day or less.

Get the newest hardware you can, play with several distributions until
you find one you really like. Then really learn it and figure out the
inside toys that Linux has to offer.

Sam.