Steve Siegfried said:
> Okay, I'm at a crossroads.  I've been running RedHat since 4.<something>
> and have been generally pleased with it.  But RedHat recently dropped
> support for anything pre-9.0 and will be dropping 9.0 support at the end
> of the month.
>
> So I'm looking for a Linux release that's easy to install and configure,
> lets me run services (mail, web-server, ftp, ...), has security updates
> available within a reasonable period of time and doesn't cost an arm
> and a leg to obtain/maintain.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> -S

There's always Debian if you're okay with a non-commercial linux.
Additionally, slackware, gentoo, et al. There is also fedoralegacy.org that
is supposed to be working to provide updates for 7.x and 8.x Red Hat. I
haven't been keeping track of that very well to see how they are doing,
though I should. What I have picked up so far is that they seem to have
decent support for 7.x, not so good for 8.0, but they are planning on
focusing more on updates for 9. They've got an update for the openssl vuln
in their testing RPMs. They seem to anticipate producing updates for 7.x as
long as it is feasible.
In addition there are a couple of RHEL clones out there, whiteboxlinux.org
is one of them, there are others.

HTH,
Josh

Josh