Someone at the last installfest gave me a USB scanner but I have not
been able to get it working. I have never worked with any scanner before.

I am running Mandrake 9.1 & I installed SANE. I've read all the man
pages and searched the web but I can't figure out why it does not work.

- When I turn on the scanner, I get an Xsane icon on my desktop.

- The Mandrake control center, ScannerDrake sees the scanner.

- SANE supports the scanner.

- The device gets created:
$ ll /dev/usb
total 0
crw-rw----    1 rick     usb      180,  48 Dec 31  1969 scanner0
drwxr-xr-x    1 root     root            0 Dec 31  1969 tts/

- When I try to use Xsane, it says:
"Failed to open device 'snapscan:/dev/usb/scanner0': Invalid argument"

- scanimage is similarly unhappy:
$ scanimage
[snapscan] download_firmware: No firmware entry found in config file
snapscan.conf.
scanimage: open of device snapscan:/dev/usb/scanner0 failed: Invalid
argument

I can't figure out what argument it is talking about?
--
Eric (Rick) Meyerhoff
rick at eworld3.net
952-929-1659