Sam MacDonald wrote:

> The Compaq Proliant 2500 had (at one time) an issue with memory. But
> it was corrected with the "mem=" parameter in Lilo.

Right. Just built one of those about 2 months ago. Threw me for a bit,
but that's exactly what I ended up doing.

> Someone else had an issue with array controllers using Debian. He had
> to use a floppy boot that had the array controller driver.

Umm... I have a hard time believing that one. The biggest problem I've
run into with their array controllers is the fact that Slackware (at
least) does not update the  'boot=/dev/sda' line in lilo.conf to reflect
'boot=/dev/ida/c0d0p1' or whatever the case might be. Since the floppy
"driver" worked,  one can safely assume the controller was not
defective. I can't recall for certain, but I believe most all the Smart
Array controllers use the same module, cpqarray. the much older SMART2
may have used something different, memory evades me. I'm not a 'redhat'
kinda guy, but admittedly as far back as 6.2 it installs quite simply on
these machines. Never tried Debian on one, likely never will. I suppose
there are some things you just can't 'apt-get'. :D

Spoken like the true Compaq slut that I am....

> The point is that Compaq fully supports Linux and has many resources
> available.  The website that was mentioned
> http://www.cpqlinux.com/   and it's a good site but...
> Compaq Servers and Linux
> _*Site Updated March 21, 2002
> *_Index Updated January 25, 2002
> Site Created September 20, 1999 __

Perhaps that's the last real support needed?  I haven't put linux on any
of the newer servers, but I've purchased a new Evo Desktop, and Evo
laptop within the last 2 years. Using Slackware, EVERYTHING worked first
time, first boot after installation, including a gauddy KDE desktop,
sound, etc. The only exception was the LT Winmodem built into the
laptop. IIRC they've been supported for a while now. I've no need so I
never bothered.  I've deployed several desktops of the same model using
Win2k,  but not w/o visiting the site to fetch drivers, etc. This
company doesn't use any pre-loads, which likely would have contained
these drivers. I just thought it rather cool that Linux went on easier
than the OS the sticker on the front says the unit is 'Designed for'.

If you look at the sales side of their site, you'll note that the new
Evo DESKTOP machines offer a choice of  3 operating systems, pre loaded.
Windows XP Home edition (on a business PC?) or for an xtra $66 they'll
load Windows 2000 Pro,  or  **** Mandrake Linux.****

You said it, I didn't.   :)

> Sam.

-mj