The Compaq Proliant 2500 had (at one time) an issue with memory. But it
was corrected with the "mem=" parameter in Lilo.
Someone else had an issue with array controllers using Debian. He had to
use a floppy boot that had the array controller driver.

The point is that Compaq fully supports Linux and has many resources
available.  The website that was mentioned   http://www.cpqlinux.com/
and it's a good site but...
Compaq Servers and Linux
_*Site Updated March 21, 2002