On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 08:14:10AM -0500, Sam MacDonald wrote:
> I agree that some Compaq servers have quirks when it comes to Linux.
> Notice that it is mostly Redhat installations that have issues and the
> issues are surmountable.

In order to install Debian on the ProLiant, I found it necessary to use
a boot disk containing a Linux kernel with compiled-in support for the
SMART array.  I don't think the Compaq quirks are RedHat specific.

It's possible that newer distros may have better hardware recognition,
enabling them to automatically recognize the SMART array and set up an
appropriate initrd image (IIRC, this was the case with Mandrake 7).

> Using the correct OS installation settings in SmartStart will help avoid
> running in to issues when installing Linux on a Compaq server.

Mine didn't come with a SmartStart CD, but the Compaq (now HP) web site
was very helpful.  E.g.:

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/8_1127.html

--
Joel Schneider