I agree that some Compaq servers have quirks when it comes to Linux.
Notice that it is mostly Redhat installations that have issues and the
issues are surmountable.
Using the correct OS installation settings in SmartStart will help avoid
running in to issues when installing Linux on a Compaq server.

Sam.