Sam MacDonald wrote:
> Any OS but a Linux OS would be, well, not right.  I guess BSD or
> something would be OK but not a M$ OS.

agreed, must be some form of Linux OS on the distro server.  After all
this is the Linux Users group and not some other OS user group.

> Can we add Slackware, it's a Minnesota grown distribution (just learned
> that) it would be good to promote something so close to home.

Slackware and Knoppix should be included on the general purpose list.
Knoppix is great for it's hardware detection and it's great for folks
who want to try Linux without installing it on their hard drive.  I like
the idea of the smaller/lightweight distros for slower machines.
Although I think you can get Debian and Slackware on low end machines
pretty easily.

> Rick Meyerhoff wrote:
>
> > IMHO we should start with about 5 - 10 distros. The main general
> > purpose ones and also some for old/slow machines since there are
> > always several people who come to installfests with old machines. I'll
> > stick my neck out and suggest these as a start:
> >
> > general purpose:
> > Red Hat
> > SuSE
> > Mandrake
> > Debian
> >
> > light weight:
> > Damn Small Linux
> > Morphix
> >
> > The distro server needs to be set up to:
> >
> > 1. periodically retrieve the latest ISO images, mirrors,
> > updates, whatever for the distros.
> >
> > 2. run without a monitor, keyboard, mouse. It has to boot and
> > be ready to telnet in to.

you will probably want serial console and a laptop to access the box
in order to do initial network setup when first setting up the distro
box at an installfest.  Generally there are enough folks with laptops
and/or keyboards/monitors that once could be borrowed for a few minutes
to do the initial network config on the distro box.  Myself, I'd much
prefer serial console to carrying a monitor around.

> > 3. be fairly secure. User's only need read access and be
> > able to use the CD drive(s).
> >
> > 4. do DNS for the fest. At least I think this would be a good idea.
> >
> > What OS should be running on the distro server? I'm tempted to
> > say XP but that would not even be funny. Ironic maybe but not funny.

Linux!!
--
scot