Hey everyone,

I bought a network MP3 player recently (http://slimdevices.com/) and one of
its features is the ability to stream out over the Internet so that I could
listen to my CDs from any Intenet-connected computer. Cool, but a rather
large security risk it would seem. I've been playing around with IPCop
(http://ipcop.org/) and have configured it to use a DMZ (three NICs in the
box). The MP3 server software sits on a server in my LAN. I wonder if any of
the following setups would approach acceptability from a security standpoint.

1. Forward incoming connections directly to MP3 server on LAN. **not good.
included for completeness**

2. Move MP3 collection to the server in the DMZ. This would be a large hassle
given the relative sizes and types of hard drives in the machines.

3. Forward incoming connections to DMZ and have the server in the DMZ connect
to the inside LAN.

4. Configure firewall to accept incoming connections from my laptop only
(using MAC address filtering) and proceed with option #1 or #3.

5. Use a VPN connection to the inside LAN. IPCop does IPSec. Would a PPro 200
with 96 MB RAM be enough horsepower for the firewall in this case?

Any other ideas?

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson